Thursday, April 7, 2011

He just needs a beard with bits of food in it*

Today Ben's daycare was closed for staff meetings, so after preschool Ben got to sit in on one of Neil's office hours.  Neil was giving an exam in his logic class later in the day, so he had plenty of anxious customers.  As if their pre-test anxiety wasn't high enough already, Neil taught Ben to say to them, "Your statement is the negation of a tautology."

For logicians, them's fightin' words.  Seriously, if a logician ever says that to you, consider yourself served.

It was pretty cute.

Later, we all had lunch together over in the Math Department, where Ben and one of my colleagues (a fellow John Denver fan) gave us a rousing concert.

*If this title makes no sense to you, it's because you know relatively few professional logicians.  Count your blessings.  My father once threatened to disown me if I became a logician.  I think he was joking, but I've never been completely sure.

1 comment:

leah said...

Hmm... off to google the significance of "beard with bits of food in it" and "logician."

I bet Ben had a great time during Neil's office hours - hearing a 3 year old say that phrase had to be unbearably cute!