Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oh.Wow.

Barukh atah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha`olam, asher kidishanu b`mitz`votav v`tzivanu l`had`lik neir shel Chanukah.

That is the blessing that one sings while lighting the candles on each night of Hanukah.  Neil did the honors last December.  Ben was very intrigued, and after a few nights could be counted on to come in on the final "Chanukah".  Once or twice since then Neil has sung it for him on a whim, but we've never made a big deal out of it.

So here's what went down at dinner tonight.  Ben was eating asparagus.  Neil playfully asks him to sing a song about asparagus.  Ben thinks for a moment, and says, "Here's an asparagus song."  And proceeds to sing the entire blinkin' blessing.  Almost word perfect.  Yes, in Hebrew.  With an extra flourish on the "Chanukah."

Yeah.  Have I mentioned that this kid scares me sometimes?  In a good way, mind you.  And just to prove it wasn't a fluke, he went on to sing it again, and then I got him to do it a third time over his late night yogurt.  No, he didn't pronounce every last syllable perfectly.  But the bulk of it was there.

We'd better get working on those Passover questions.

8 comments:

PinkLAM said...

Go Ben!!! He frightens me too, coming from a family who mumbles gibberish while attempting to read Hebrew off of the candle box while lighting the menorah. You'd think we'd have these things memorized by now :P

He never ceases to amaze me!

Melanie said...

I have the chills, Julia. Since Peas is the youngest child, it will be his "duty" to recite the Four Questions...can't wait for that day! Ben is amazing.

leah said...

I love it! He is just amazing. I bet he'll be able to ask all the Passover questions without hesitation!

rouchi6 said...

great going!keep it up ben.

fethiye said...

I am glad I am not the only one that is "frightened" by Ben ;)

And he eats asparagus?!!!

:)

Elsie Hickey Wilson said...

Such an amazing grandchild we have!
Let's see: French....Spiniach
Turkish, Dutch, Spanish, counting.
Maybe I will have to teach him a little Irish for St. Pat's Day!
The absolutely amazing thing is it is not single words, or phrases, but the whole Hebrew blessing!
I would say we are all blessed by this little guys language development!

Elizabeth said...

Yofit, Ben! Great job! Maybe he thought the asparagus stalks looked like candles? Too cute!

Susannah said...

love this story! read it on ci circle too, and so glad it made it on your blog! :)

ps my word verification is "kingly" seems appropriate