Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Grinch on the Pot

We haven't really gotten into Official Toilet Training yet, but we have a little low-key "potty time" every night before bath.  Ben loves it.  I emphasize this because one might draw quite a different conclusion from his post-potty soliloquy tonight.  I should also add that his favorite book right now is "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" -- a little out-of-season, but shows good taste.  After tonight's potty time, we took his hearing aid out as usual (he doesn't wear his CI on the toilet) and put him in the bath.  This is what followed:

"I hated my potty, the whole potty season.  Now please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason.  It could be my head wasn't screwed on just right.  Or perhaps it's because my shoes were too tight.  But I think the most likely reason of all is because my heart was two sizes too small."

I've commented before on how he has a really amazing memory -- I think that's been a key part of his quick language acquisition.  With relatively minimal exposure, he memorizes long passages from poems, books, songs, etc.  Often, it's clear that he doesn't fully understand everything that he's memorized (something I see in my college students all too often!), but in this case, he was able to translate into the first person, so obviously he's making a lot of sense of this passage.  In any case, I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

2 comments:

leah said...

I think Nolan has the same feelings about the potty, even if he can't verbalize it in that way! Way to go, Ben!

He does have an amazing auditory memory and great language processing skills. I don't think I could memorize that long of a passage from a book (but then again, my mind is going with age, lol).

Madeline said...

This made my day! Way to go, Ben!!